January 17, 2010

Eggs...incredible, but not easy...


I love a good egg salad. It sounds gross, but that lovely, creamy, tasty spread on a good piece of bread... Now that's what I'm talking about!

I decided that a good meal for lunch all week would be egg salad. It's easy to make a big batch of egg salad, or so I thought...

First of all, I had to answer the first question in how to prepare egg salad. How in the heck do you boil an egg? Sad I know, but oh so true. Why would I know that? I don't eat hard boiled eggs... I think they are gross when not in egg salad form, but as a stand alone food, no thank you! I of course went to my first source of information, my Mom. She was unable to direct me in a way that uses any form of concrete tasks, so I then turned to the internet. Sorry Erin, you have a gas stove so your directions might differ, or so I thought...

There are many many many answers to this question online. Some I feel are performed in steps that coincide with your nightly TV watching schedule. Boil eggs for 30 mins. Soak in an ice bath for 30 mins. Crack eggs and resoak in ice bath for 30 mins. Seriously? I chose the one that best suited my schedule tonight, of eating dinner and watching 24 at 9! I got the eggs to a boil. Took them off the heat and covered them for 12 mins. I then scooped them into an ice bath. Then annoyed Joe for a few mins, then tackled the worst part of it all. Cracking the eggs AND only taking shell off. Somone needs to make a tool that makes this easier. Seriously. People would buy it in a second. Deviled eggs, would be brillant! Easter eggs would not be dismantled in such a harsh way. If I cared this much about eggs, I'd try to take on this task, but something tells me my mind will wander before I remember this was how I was gonna make the big bucks!
A few eggs less (some didn't survive my cracking ideas!) I then began the part I had been waiting for, the mashing!! This is my favorite tool ever. You get to mash stuff that's it's sole purpose. How fun is that! Then you get to play mad scientist. I added dijon mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, and of course, relish!! It tasted good at the time, but the real test is when it's on that yummy sourdough bread I got to accompany it!!



Can't wait!! And Joe can't wait til the house no longer smells like those incredible edible eggs!
Happy Day and Happy Eating!!
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Good job! I know how to boil eggs - it's just that I might not do it the same exact way each time...and certainly don't shell them the same each time - or even each egg! So it's hard to explain to someone over the telephone how to do it. But it looks like it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete