January 15, 2010

My Dinner Kicked Your Dinner's Butt!!




This week was a weird one. We had sandwiches for dinner all week. I jazzed mine up with a little pimento cheese alongside my ham!! DELICIOUS!!! So, tonight I kinda felt like I should make a meal of noteworthy proportions!!


I decided on making Wild Mushroom Ragout (minus the polenta this recipe calls for) with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes tossed in EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. I got this roasted potato recipe from my good friend Cassie who Wow's me with her culinary skills every time I visit! I felt the best compliment to this dinner would be a nice piece of steak!

I got the quarted Roasted Fingerling Potatoes tossed in the EVOO, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, and onto a sheet pan and in the oven at 375 degrees. This usually takes about an hour, but you know they are done when they start to crisp up! YUM!! I definitely suggest getting Yukon Gold fingerling potatoes if you can. That nutty flavor adds another dimension to the flavor of the potatoes.

I then started on the Wild Mushroom Ragout. I cut the recipe down by about a third (thanks for doing the math for me Erin!) since it was just a side dish and not a main course atop polenta. This has to be one of the easiest ways I have ever prepared mushrooms, and by far the tastiest. I usually cook mushrooms alongside onion and sautee them in either EVOO or lately, butter, with a little bit of Worchestshire sauce and some salt and pepper. NEVER AGAIN! Sorry Joe, but this recipe is way too easy and yummy to pass up! I have also had it made for me served with the polenta and that is also quite the satisfying meal!




Joe, took the reigns on the cooking of the steak. We are kinda lazy when it comes to getting the barbecue out, so he said he'd cook the steaks on the stove. I saw him coat the steaks with some salt and pepper, montreal steak seasoning, and not sure if there was anything else. I also saw him put butter in the pan and a little worchestshire sauce, and then from there, I was more worried about what I was cooking to see how he made the steaks taste like heaven. I always ask for my steak medium rare, and well don't always get that result. Today, I don't know what tricks he pulled on those steaks, but they were perfectly cooked and some of the best tasting steak I've ever had at home! I'm pretty sure next time, I'll have him prepare steak the same way... I don't mind us being lazy if it produces such yummy results!

Can't wait to see what we cook up next!!

Tomorrow, will be a whole new day of CRAFTING!!! I can't wait to share all of my creations!! I saw a new technique (or at least new to me) of faux pleating, and I can't wait to try it on cards and layouts!! I'm thinking tomorrow I might do a one page layout for each of my girls!!! I've got some ideas and I'm ready to put them on paper!

Oh, yeah... More to come on Sophie's crate training... Day one ended in a fat nose, and Day 2 started with a vet appt to address said fat nose!! We can do this!!



Happy Day!!

Lisa

2 comments: